"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself"
                                                                                  -Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"And oh my heart is smiling"

Earlier this week, I got an email from one of my closest friends and roommate from Emerson, Mahri. She had emailed a few people in our circle something she had written. It struck me so hard. She's an incredible author and musician. I find myself listening to her music often as she has this uncanny ability to speak to her audience in this universal way. She wrote:

"Feel like its time 'cause I've followed the signs for all my life,
And oh my heart is smiling

Need for my wish and my stars to align, 'cause in this life,
The heart grows tired of smiling

I'll never control my desires, we live for hunger
Till my last breath I will feel, only LOVE"

Each phrase speaks to a very different emotion. It seems to outline a journey.

First, that feeling that everything up to this point has primed you for what's next. You walk through the door happy and ready to accept it. Next, what if it isn't time? How can we be sure about what's coming next or what we're prepared for? Doesn't the old adage suggest that nothing can truly prepare you for life? Sometimes amidst all the understanding, you lose yourself. You grow frustrated as you analyze everything and try to itemize everything to the point of understanding nothing! Finally -and this is my favorite - she says that trying to comprehend and catagorize your life is pointless. Ultimately, our desires and needs will pull us, or motivate us, forward. We're on a journey purposefully, and sometimes blissfully ignorant, towards our own final goal.

Now, I'm sure I'll get a call from Mahri asking me about this interpretation, but I can't help it. That's what I see and, again, why I think Mahri's music and words are great. You can see yourself in what she writes. And that's what I'm saying.

Check out Mahri's stuff on her Myspace (also on the side navigation bar).

0 Thoughts: