"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself"
                                                                                  -Charlie Chaplin

Friday, March 13, 2009

Beads. Flowers. Freedom. Happiness.

I've been having some serious nostalgia this past week. My first semester in college, I was fortunate enough to be part of the cast of musical HAIR. It was possibly my favorite theater experience, not just because of the show itself, but because of the bond, the friendships, the feeling I had when we all sang together with this unified voice. To this day, more than 3 years later, I'll still hear from my tribemates asking how I am, a "yip" here and there or just some simple words of encouragement.

This show was so important for me because it was the beginning of my time at Emerson and provided this huge support system in a new environment. Rehearsals weren't just singing and staging, it was communion with a group of people who embraced each other. There's this love that just doesn't die. HAIR is that sort of show. The issues are timeless, the message is timeless, the spirit is timeless. OK, I'm getting a little too deep. I guess I'm just sending out a little YIP YIP into the universe and hope my Tipaku Tribe hears it.

Sidenote: Two of my tribemates (Maya Sharpe and Briana Carlson-Goodman) are in Broadway Cast that is now showing. Check out the website HERE!

We starve - look
At one another
Short of breath
Walking proudly in out winter coats
Wearing smells from laboratories
Facing a dying nation
Of moving paper fantasy
Listening to the new told lies
With supreme visions of lonely tunes

...Let the sunshine in!

0 Thoughts: