"Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself"
                                                                                  -Charlie Chaplin

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Things that aren't cool....

You know what's NOT cool? Getting excited about new office supplies at work. Yea, that's right - office supplies.

My mind is starting to go numb. That's a little melodramatic, but the topics that usually occupy my mind are becoming tedious even to my inner-monologue. Probably the most indicative of these topics is politics. As the election enters is final leg and with three weeks left, I'm hard pressed to even watch the last debate. It's interesting that Obama released his talking points before the debate, because that tells me that there's nothing left to talk about. There's been an ongoing argument over the length of American elections. In most European countries, you aren't allowed to release campaign commercials until the week prior to the election. That system has it's own problems, but needless to say, whats' the point of these final three weeks?

What more could we learn about the candidates' policies that would deter us from their vote? This final period is all about perception. Policies don't have very much to do with it anymore. Amidst all of the surprises and mudslinging and so on - how are the candidates dealing with the pressure? How do they address the controversies? What tactics do they resort to?

Personally, I have little faith in the American political system. Like many voters my age who I speak with, the past few elections have not been about voting for the stronger candidate; it's been about chosing the lesser of two evils. Neither party seems particularly strong and a vote for either is precarious at best. I can feel this all too familiar jitter grow as the campaigns stretch into their final days. I hear one of two things:

"Obama is the messiah - McCain is the devil incarnate"
or
"I don't know which is worse... I mean better"

If bipartisonship is really possible, then maybe that's America's saving grace. I don't believe that either candidate has all the answers America needs and I don't think voting for either will turn this country around immediately. I do, however, pray that whoever is voted into office will cut the leash of party politics and do what's best for this country regardless of this party. Period.

So, to summarize: I'm still talking about politics and office supplies are the most exciting part of my day.

0 Thoughts: